Mindfulness is essentially about relationality, how we are are in relationship to everything, including our own minds and bodies, our thoughts and emotions, our past and what transpired to bring us, still breathing into this moment. and how we can learn to live our way into every aspect of life with integrity with kindness toward ourselves and others and with wisdom (Full Catastrophe Living:Jon Kabat Zinn)
An Example - Mindful Drinking
This is an everyday experience you can try anytime, anyplace, anywhere
You will need -
- As you sit down with your drink, notice where you are and where you are sitting, just check in with yourself a little (more on mindful body scanning at a later date)
- Imagine you have never seen anything like this drink before, look at it with fresh new beginner's eyes.
- Pick up your drink, notice it's colour and texture.
- Does it feel warm or cold or something else?
- Notice the light shining on it, properly explore it with your eyes spend some time on this.
- If your mind wanders off to other places, just notice where it's gone and gently guide it back to what you are doing.
- Bring your nose to it and smell, do you notice if you have a reaction to the smell, maybe in the mouth?
- What can you hear, is there noise, can you notice any stillness?
- Now bring it to your mouth, notice that your hand and arm knows what to do.
- Place it to your mouth, do you react in anyway to this?
- Take a sip.
- How does the liquid feel, does it tingle, is it cold or warm, do you like or dislike the sensation? Hold it in your mouth for a moment to experience this.
- As you swallow it what are the sensations as it travels from your throat to your stomach?
- If you have other thoughts whilst this is going on bring your awareness back to what you are doing
- bring your full attention to this experience and be fully present.
- Repeat as many times as you wish.
Want To Do Some More?
Over the next week, choose something you regularly do each day and bring it more to your awareness, such as brushing your teeth, taking a shower, making coffee, starting up the computer, washing up. See if you can be really present, fully aware of what you are doing.
If you would like to experience more mindfulness in your life, please get in touch as I am offering free mindful sessions over the holidays here in Guildford or on Skype, FaceTime etc to individuals, families and small groups.
Jane Tyson 07768 392686
Thank you lovely friends for the photos xxx